Skip to main content

Quick Review: "A Rip in the Veil" by Anna Belfrage

From Goodreads:  On a stifling August day in 2002, Alexandra Lind is thrown several centuries backwards in time. She lands at the feet of Matthew Graham - an escaped convict making his way home to Scotland in this the year of our Lord, 1658.

Matthew doesn't quite know what to make of this concussed and injured woman who has seemingly fallen from the skies. What is she, a witch?

Alex gawks at this tall, gaunt man with hazel eyes, dressed in what to her mostly looks like rags. At first she thinks he might be some sort of hermit, an oddball, but she quickly realises the odd one out is she.

Catapulted from a life of modern comfort, Alex grapples with this new existence, further complicated by the dawning realisation that someone from her time has followed her here - and not exactly to extend a helping hand.

Potential compensation for this brutal shift in fate comes in the shape of Matthew - a man she should never have met, not when she was born three centuries after him. He quickly proves himself a willing and most capable protector, but Matthew comes with baggage of his own, and on occasion it seems his past will see him killed. At times Alex finds it all exceedingly exciting, longing for the structured life she used to have.

How will she ever get back? And more importantly, does she want to?


My Thoughts:  I am going to keep this review short because I will be writing a more in-depth review of the sequel, Like Chaff in the Wind, in a couple weeks.

I must say that I loved this book.  I was so surprised by how quickly I got sucked into the story and by how much I fell in love with it and the characters.  This isn't the first time travel book I have read but it is definitely one of the better ones.  I really loved that the reader got to connect with characters in the past and the present.  With some of the time travel books I have read, the people left in the present are completely ignored but that wasn't the case with this one.  That was one of the many things I enjoyed about this book.

I also loved the characters.  There are a lot of characters in the story but I think the author did a good job of giving each of them a unique personality and interesting qualities.  I do think she created a really nasty villain in Luke Graham.  I hated him!  It was just so shocking how incredibly stupid and evil he was.  I just kept hoping someone would kill him but unfortunately, that didn't happen.  While Luke Graham was the perfect villain, Alex and Matthew are the perfect heroes.  I like that the author didn't try to make Matthew into a more modern thinking man but rather kept him true to the time period.  While at times I found it annoying, I thought it was more realistic for him to have the mindset that a man in the 1600s would have had.  

The story was like a whirlwind of emotional ups and downs and the romance between Matthew and Alex was completely beautiful.  I hated for the story to end but was so excited to be able to jump right into the second book in the series!  4 stars.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review and Giveaway: "Distant Signs" by Anne Richter

Synopsis: Distant Signs is an intimate portrait of two families spanning three generations amidst turbulent political change, behind and beyond the Berlin Wall. In 1960s East Germany, Margret, a professor’s daughter from the city, meets and marries Hans, from a small village in Thuringia. The couple struggle to contend with their different backgrounds, and the emotional scars they bear from childhood in the aftermath of war. As East German history gradually unravels, with collision of the personal and political, their two families’ hidden truths are quietly revealed. An exquisitely written novel with strongly etched characters that stay with you long after the book is finished and an authentic portrayal of family life behind the iron curtain based on personal experience of the author who is East German and was 16 years old at the fall of the Berlin Wall. Why do families repeat destructive patterns of behaviour across generations? Should the personal take precedence over

Top Ten Books I Recommend The Most

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish . This week's topic:  Top Ten Books I Recommend the Most 1.) The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons   2.) Outlander by Diana Gabaldon           If you read my blog at all, you know I love these two books so much!  I am not afraid to suggest them to anyone who I think might enjoy them. 3.) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - I was definitely recommending this book left and right when the first movie came out. 4.) The Fault in Our Stars by John Green 5.) A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin           These are two books that I just recently started recommending but they are books that can appeal to anyone so they are easy picks when someone asks for a recommendation. 6.) Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead  - I get a little embarrassed when I recommend this book to people but seriously, just because it has vampires does not mean it is like Twilight. 7.) The Giver by Lois

Book Blog Hop (11)

The Book Blogger Hop is a weekly meme hosted by Jen at Crazy for Books .  It's a way to meet other bloggers and check out some cool new blogs. This week's question is:  "Highlight one book you have received this week that you can't wait to dig into!" Okay, I have a confession to make.  I have been so busy this week that I have not had time to get any new books.  I have several waiting for me at the library but I won't be able to pick them up until this weekend.  : ( Did you all get any exciting new books this week?