Skip to main content

Whole30 - Week 1 in the books!

I really want to start posting on this blog more.  I promise to keep it mostly about books but I want to include some posts about what's happening in my life too.

Last Sunday, I started the Whole30 program and have am now on my 8th day of following the program.  If you haven't heard of it yet, you basically give up dairy, gluten, legumes, sugar, alcohol and processed foods for 30 days.  There are a lot of reasons that I've been wanting to do this program but I would be lying if I wasn't hoping to lose some pounds along the way.  The main reason I'm doing this is because my diet is terrible!  Even when 'dieting' I mostly just eat low calorie processed foods and very few (if any) fruits and veggies.  I'm hoping this will give me a kick in the pants to start eating better food.

How was the first week?

Not nearly as bad as I thought.  I did have a headache for the first couple of days but otherwise, I've felt fine.  I feel a ton less bloated and the scale says that I've lost a few pounds (though I'm sure they're mostly water).  The food has been really good too!

Is it hard?

It has been a somewhat of a challenge.  I used to cook a lot more before I had Julia but most of what I've been cooking have been easy, dump in the crockpot meals.  I have had to deal a lot of meal prep on the weekends to make sure we have food for the week.  I've been making a lot of recipes I've found on pinterest and the nice thing is that, so far, they make a large quantity so we can eat them for lunches or other dinners throughout the week.  (Our dinner last night made enough for 6 meals!)

One of the hardest things has been looking at my mindset.  My daughter was sick last week and so I was home with her for four days; usually when I'm at home, I mindlessly snack.  I also had to make a million trips to Walgreens and I used to not leave the store without a soda and a treat of some kind.  It felt weird not partaking in these 'normal' rituals for me but I realized that these things are all mental and not things I do because I'm actually hungry.  I'm hoping to continue to have a better mindset with food when all is said and done.

What have you been eating?

I now have a new love of cashews!  I found some roasted 'compliant' cashews at Natural Grocers and they are delicious.  A few go a long way to filling me up!  I've also been embracing my love of sweet potatos.  My husband hates them so I usually don't make them but I ate them a lot last week.  They cook up so well (and so fast) in my instant pot!  We've had things like 'spaghetti' with spaghetti squash instead of noodles and fajitas with lettuce wraps.  Super yummy!  I have also made the recipes below and all were really good.

Crockpot Hamburger Stew

Mexican Chicken Soup

Mini Egg Frittatas

 Is it expensive?

It has been a bit expensive but since we aren't eating out much, stopping at the snack shop or making ice cream runs, I'm not too sad about it.  Aldi has been a lifesaver with their inexpensive produce.  I'm going to try to shop at Wal-Mart instead of Target next week and see if that helps.

Overall...

I'm pretty happy with the program so far.  Yes, I would still like a big cookie but I can handle it.  (I made cookies yesterday for a family dinner and it was pure torture!)  I'm looking forward to the next week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review and Giveaway: "Distant Signs" by Anne Richter

Synopsis: Distant Signs is an intimate portrait of two families spanning three generations amidst turbulent political change, behind and beyond the Berlin Wall. In 1960s East Germany, Margret, a professor’s daughter from the city, meets and marries Hans, from a small village in Thuringia. The couple struggle to contend with their different backgrounds, and the emotional scars they bear from childhood in the aftermath of war. As East German history gradually unravels, with collision of the personal and political, their two families’ hidden truths are quietly revealed. An exquisitely written novel with strongly etched characters that stay with you long after the book is finished and an authentic portrayal of family life behind the iron curtain based on personal experience of the author who is East German and was 16 years old at the fall of the Berlin Wall. Why do families repeat destructive patterns of behaviour across generations? Should the personal take precedence over

Top Ten Books I Recommend The Most

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish . This week's topic:  Top Ten Books I Recommend the Most 1.) The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons   2.) Outlander by Diana Gabaldon           If you read my blog at all, you know I love these two books so much!  I am not afraid to suggest them to anyone who I think might enjoy them. 3.) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - I was definitely recommending this book left and right when the first movie came out. 4.) The Fault in Our Stars by John Green 5.) A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin           These are two books that I just recently started recommending but they are books that can appeal to anyone so they are easy picks when someone asks for a recommendation. 6.) Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead  - I get a little embarrassed when I recommend this book to people but seriously, just because it has vampires does not mean it is like Twilight. 7.) The Giver by Lois

Book Blog Hop (11)

The Book Blogger Hop is a weekly meme hosted by Jen at Crazy for Books .  It's a way to meet other bloggers and check out some cool new blogs. This week's question is:  "Highlight one book you have received this week that you can't wait to dig into!" Okay, I have a confession to make.  I have been so busy this week that I have not had time to get any new books.  I have several waiting for me at the library but I won't be able to pick them up until this weekend.  : ( Did you all get any exciting new books this week?